Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Delirium --- a review by Amy Lyon

Delirium
by Lauren Oliver

****


Magdelena(Lena) is counting down the days until she is cured. Lena is anxious, hoping that the cure works for her, that she won't end up like her mother. On the day of her Evaluations, someone gained access to the labs and let loose a stampede of cows, disrupting her failings Evaluation. And whats even more puzzling is the young man laughing, laughing. But what happens when Lena and her friend, Hana, meet the very same young man after their run? And when he invites her to meet him, should she go?

The society in Delirium is similar to that of Matched, everything is decided for them and showing individuality is grounds for being put away. But this society believes that love is a disease, deliria nervosa amor, and everyone is cured after their eighteenth birthday. Apparently, a society without love operates more efficiently, like a well oiled machine. The characters were relatable, Hana loved unsanctioned music and dancing; but like every teenager, it was just a phase of rebellion. I enjoyed this book, but found the ending disappointing. This is the first in the trilogy, and I'm hoping the series gets even better. I would recommend this book to those who have read The Giver or Matched.

5 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

Another entry in the dystopian society genre! And as you said, the first in a trilogy. I might have to read this one as I loved Oliver's other book, Before I Fall -- which is NOT a dystopian novel.

Ian Zig. said...

That sounds like a rotten society! Can't say I'll read it..

Halea Coulter said...

I'm reading it right now, it's pretty good so far, but I'm starting to feel like I've read toooooo many dystopian novels.

Sarah Gnefkow said...

Sounds pretty interesting but I'm not really into it.

Hope Austin said...

This sounds interesting, but I'd like to know more about it before I decide whether or not to read it.