Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Giver - Review by Halea Coulter


The Giver
by Lois Lowry

* * * * Stars


The Giver follows the story of a young boy named Jonah who is about to turn 12. Everyone in his class is also about to turn twelve, in fact everyone in the community Jonah lives in is about to have their birthdays. That is how society work, everyone is born at different times through out the year, but to make things easier, their official birthdays are all the the same time. As children get older, they get new privileges; at 8 they are allowed to wear sweaters that button in the front, at 9 they get their own bicycles to ride, and at 12 they get what will be their jobs for the rest of their lives. When December finally arrives, Jonah is given the job of Reciever. Jonah has no clue what that is, and neither does anyone else for that matter. The story goes on, and Jonah learns that he is to recieve memories from the Giver, hence his job title and the books name. The Reciever is the only one who has memories from before everything fell apart and was put back together again in a very strict fashion. The Reciever has memories of snow, rain, lakes, colors, sailboats but also war, destruction, pain, and death. These are things that people no longer have, in this society, they don't even have parents, they are birthed by a woman and named in December and give to parents to raise until they are 18. In this society, you do not die a natural death, it is a called a release; no one knows what they do, but Jonah finds out, all it is, is an injection, like is currently used for the death penalty. In the story Jonah's parents are caring for a baby, Gabriel, who doesn't seem to be maturing fast enough and when he is due for release, Jonah takes Gabriel and leaves, and the end of the book is a mystery.

Personally, I quite enjoyed the book, apparently other people did too, it's an older book, but it was given a Newberry Medal so you know it has to be pretty good. The book has been banned in many schools, apparently for the way it handles death, suicide, sex, and you can infer that it promotes communism. Honestly, I don't see why any of those things are issues, nothing in the book is really that bad. Also, i recently read the book Matched by Ally Condie and it dealt with the same futuristic, dystopian society and i liked it better. Neither of the societies seemed much different from one another, but I did prefer Matched, just because it had a more intriguing story. Also, if I had to pick between living in Matched's society or The Givers I would pick Matched because even though neither sounds fun, Matched sounds a bit better. In matched the adults are at least allowed to do what married couples are supposed to, in The Giver, they have to take pills to suppress sexual urges of all kinds. Overall though it was a very good book, it was a short and quick read, and I would definitely recommend it.







16 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

Interesting comparison between the two dystopian novels, Halea. I preferred The Giver to Matched but I can see why you'd make the choice you did! I like this genre, typically, and I've ordered you the companion novels to Giver and hope you enjoy them as well!

Ian Zig. said...

This book sounds rather radical, to the point that I may have to seriously consider checking it out... hmmm.. What a society, forces its citizens to take pills to suppress sexual urges... But how are the children made?.. confusing!.. lol

Halea Coulter said...

Ian! They have mothers specifically for that, all the babies are probably test tube babies

Sarah Gnefkow said...

I read this book and it was probably one of the best books I have read.

Hope Austin said...

I've never actually read it. But considering it's tchnically a classic, I will have to get on that.

Gerard Harker said...

Great book probably one of my favorites..

Anonymous said...

This books was one of my favorites I really liked it. The giver was interesting, there community seemed very twisted. But I didn't like the ending of the book, I wanted to know what happened next. It was one those books where you just can't set it down.

Anonymous said...

This was one of my favorite books. It had so many twist and turns. I didn't like the ending though. It was one of those books that u can't set down.

Anonymous said...

This book is very intresting. The reason why is because they lived in a small town and they did evry thing in order and perfectly. Also they forget how old they are after 14. But over all it is a very good book.

Anonymous said...

Nathaniel gaul-pearson

This is one of my favorite books.

Anonymous said...

Nathaniel gaul-pearson


This is a very good book and one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

This is a very good book and one of my favorite books.

Anonymous said...

This is a very good book one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

This book was amazing i would recomend it to anyone who likes fiction
Jacob Bolger

Anonymous said...

I read this book and was really glad when I finished the book.

Joey Stark

Anonymous said...

I agree with your book review, I love this book. But I'd like to point out that the main characters name is Jonas not Jonah. The book the giver is part 1 of a trilogy so, if you like the book you should read The messenger, and Gathering blue.