Thursday, September 16, 2010

Good Enough -- a review by George Morejon


Good Enough

by Paula Yoo


**** stars

Good Enough is a book that tells the story of a first generation Korean girl and her last year of high school as she struggles to choose between following the path of school and life her parents want for her or choosing to do what she wants. To work hard and get accepted into all the Ivy League collages (Harvardyaleprinceton) or to follow her love for music and go to Juillard, the best music school in America.

Good Enough starts off with Patti Yoon's audition for the all-state high school orchestra. When she's suppose to be warming up, she sees someone she's never met but thinks is cute, who she calls Cute Trumpet Guy. She screws up playing in front of the judges, and only gets second chair, a major embarrassment for the 3 year first chair holder. Needless to say, her parents were disappointed greatly in her.

When she starts school, she sits behind the new transfer student from Michigan, who happens to be Cute Trumpet Guy. He introduces himself as Ben Wheeler, and they become great friends fast. Patti's surprised by this, because Ben's a popular jock who was captain of his track team, while she's just a nerdy girl who studies for all her AP classes and takes practice SATs all the time.

Ben teaches Patti over the course their school year to be more outgoing though, encouraging her to listen to rock music artists she's never heard of instead of only classical music, and going to his house to play music with him and jam instead of staying home and studying.

She eventually tells her youth group, who are all competitive Korean students around her age. Amazingly, they help her do the craziest thing yet: escaping from the youth group's lock-in event (all the students each bring a friend and are put in a rec room together, to show everyone that church is cool!) to go out and see a rock concert with Ben, where she tells him how she really feels about him.

And while struggling with these problems, she's trying to think about what to do about playing the violin too! Her parents first had her play it to stand out from other students when applying to Harvardyaleprinceton, but she realises she really likes it and doesn't want to give it up once she goes to collage. Her violin instructor and Ben both see this, and they encourage her to apply to the Juillard music school. But she's worried about what her parents will do if they find her applying to a place not Havardyaleprinceton...

9 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

I'm glad you liked this -- I hope others will be inspired to pick it up too and read it. Too bad the cover is so boring!!

Amy Lyon said...

I agree that the cover is a little blase, but the review makes me want to pick it up.

Bryce Foster said...

this book doesnt really catch my interest. Although it might be interesting for the music..

George Morejon said...

The cover's not interesting, but that's what made it stand out to me at first. I think the bright colours with the simpleness made me look at it first.

Hope Austin said...

I love stories like this. Glad to see it's not disappointing.

Ian Zig. said...

Sounds kinda good, I think I'll check it out

Aspen Gates said...

Not really catching my interest but perhaps if I read it it will change my mind

cynthia ononye said...

This book seems like one that I would really be able to relate to a lot. I have conflicts with my parents on my dreams and what I want to do.

brion pitts said...

i think this book is going to be very interesting..i have heard of the authors name before so i think this book might be very good.