Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Alchemist - a review by George Morejon

The Alchemist
by Paulo Coelho
***** stars

This story begins with an Andaluz shepard boy in the fields tending his sheep. He has a recurring dream about finding a treasure by pyramids, but he didn't know what it meant. He went to a seer to find out what it meant, and later ended up meeting a mystical king who tells him to 'follow his person legend'. He decides to sell his flock and leave everything in Spain behind so he can fulfill his legend. He then has to explore the strange lands of north Africa and, reading the omens along the way, because when a person follows their legend, the universe conspires to make it happen.

This was probably one of the best books i've read in this class. I liked everything about it. The setting from Spain down to Tarifa and Tanger, across the desert to Egypt felt like one of the Arabian Nights stories. The theme was a follow-your-dreams kind of one, but this one didn't seem like it was trying to hard. It just seemed to flow. I don't really know what else to say about it, but i just loved it. I don't know how long it took me to read it because i read it any time i could, mostly in school.

8 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

George, I've heard many great things about this book but have not read it. Would it be of interest to girls as well? Glad you enjoyed it and wow, 5 star rating!

Halea Coulter said...

This doesn't sound like it would be of much interest to most girls

George Morejon said...

I don't think so, except for girls who really loved travelling and adventure books

Amy Lyon said...

5 stars really? how interesting

Sarah Gnefkow said...

I dont think I am going to read this

Hope Austin said...

The concept sounds interesting, but fantasy isn't really my cup of tea.

Anonymous said...

I think that the alchemist was a very good book to read over winter break 2010, i thought it was interesting

Anonymous said...

decent book