Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Wither --- a review by Amy Lyon

Wither

by Lauren DeStefano


***1/2


Welcome to a world where men only live to 25 and women to 20. And desperation lurks around every corner.


Ever since the death of her parents, Rhine and her brother have been on their own living in fear of the Gathers, a group of people that collect young girls for those who will pay. And those who don't pass the test... After being so careful for so long, Rhine falls into a trap, then finds herself passed out in a luxurious bed. From the beginning, Rhine works on finding the way out. But what happens when she starts to fall for Gabriel, the mistreated servant? And when she becomes the first wife, will she really want to leave?


Wither definitely kept me guessing, on the edge of my seat. The twists and turns are unexpected and the idea is original, a refreshing change. The characters at some points came to life, like House Master Vaughn and his experiments. Some parts were fairly creepy, but it brought a certain depth to the story. The ending is a bit predictable, well, part of the ending is predictable. This is not for people who love a happy ending for all, but I would definitely recommend this book.














10 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

You know how I love the dystopian novel -- I will have to read this one!

Halea Coulter said...

Hmm . . . I'm kinda tired of dystopian

George Morejon said...

This reminds me of a story i read by an internet author some time ago, minus the age part

Amy Lyon said...

I'm hoping the second one comes out soon

Ian Zig. said...

eww... that was pretty much what went through my head when I read that review... I really have my doubts that this could ever keep my attention.

Sarah Gnefkow said...

I think I would have trouble reading this book

Hope Austin said...

I'm not sure if I would like this one.

Amy Lyon said...

Its so creepy, I just have to know more.

Aspen Gates said...

I cannot wait to read this it looks so interesting

Anonymous said...

based on what Amy posted about this book, personally i dont think that i would be very interested but, i liked the way the cover caught my eye