Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hate List - a review by George Morejon

Hate List
by Jennifer Brown
**** stars

What would you feel like if your school was shot up by another student? Now what if that other student was the person you were going out with? And what if you were accused of helping them? This is what happen with Valerie, the young girl in Hate List whose boyfriend, Nick, one day in may decided to put 'their' plan into action. After struggling to get over the tramatic experience, she got shot in the leg, not to mention was a prime suspect for making the 'hit list', she has to go back to the same school for her last year. What will people think of her?


They'll hate her, that's what. The unity presented in the newspapers isn't real she sees, with all the normal fighting and argueing still happening. But she makes a friend in an unlikely person, one of her worst tormenters from the year before, and takes on a project to honour their classmates.

This was a 5 hour book that had an interesting concept that i hadn't put together before, a list of people a person hates whichh leads to a school shooting. It plays out where you can see Valerie as either a cause of the problem or the victim, and i saw her as a victim. The mother was too overprotective, always worrying about protecting the world from her daughter after the event. I agreed with Valerie's unlikely friend when she said "It's not your fault. After all, you didn't shoot anyone."

10 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

Thanks for the review. Wish you could have joined us for book club -- we had a great discussion about Valerie and her role in the school shooting and its aftermath!

Halea Coulter said...

I liked the book, it was really interesting and made for a good book club.

George Morejon said...

I know. This was a book i probably would have talked about. I got into it

Amy Lyon said...

I thought this was a good book for book club, a lot to talk about.

Ian Zig. said...

I really didn't like this book, I couldn't get into it. It just seemed like a whole lot of stupid drama with a twist.

Sarah Gnefkow said...

I like this book alright.

Hope Austin said...

I liked the discussion this books inspired.

Aspen Gates said...

I thought this was a great book, but just not as realistic as I thought it could be.

George Morejon said...

A lot of the content seemed like being there just for the sake of drama, but I could see it happening possibly.

Anonymous said...

This book seems to be pretty engaging and sounds like something I could maybe read sometime.