Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It's Kind of a Funny Story - Review by Halea Coulter


It's Kind of a Funny Story

by Ned Vizzini


* * * * Stars


What kind of story includes kids that actually study, attempted suicide off the Brooklyn Bridge, crazy people, stress vomiting, a girl that cut her own face, and an Egyptian guy that won't get out of bed? A funny one!! Even though It's Kind of a Funny Story does touch on serious subjects, it is actually funny.


The story opens with Craig, who really wants to jump of the Brooklyn Bridge. But Craig, being one of the smartest kids in New York City, calls the suicide hotline, which tells him to check into the hospital, so he does. The story winds around in an interesting way which starts of switching between how Craig is pushed to end up in the hospital and him actually getting there. But once he does the story stays mostly in the present. While in the hospital, Craig, meets an interesting cast of characters, most of whom are adults in the psych ward, but of course there is Noelle, his love interest, a girl who cut her face. Craig is only in the psych ward for six days, but thats enough to really turn his life around, he learns how to work things and there is plenty of funny along the way.


I love It's Kind of a Funny Story. I do like the story line, to me, it is simple and clean. The story goes from point A to B without tons of irrelevant things getting in the way. The book was very easy to read. I read it in two days I think and it was just easy because the authors tone was very enticing. I feel like the author of the book, wrote kind of like I think, so for me, it was a very enjoyable book. I gave it four stars, which is pretty solid, it's definitely worth picking up and reading, especially if you plan to see the movie!










6 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

Does the movie stay fairly faithful to the book, Halea? As you know I saw the movie but have not yet read the book (despite your urging!).
Glad you liked it!

George Morejon said...

This seems like a book where anything can happen. The randomness makes it interesting (and the cover's got my attention before too)

Amy Lyon said...

The cover is eye catching?

Sarah Gnefkow said...

I watched the movie and I want to read the book

Hope Austin said...

I've seen the movie and really hope that the book is better.

Anonymous said...

One of my very favorite books (and movies)!! Not quite sure why this one grabbed my interest, probably the mix of serious and humorous subjects once again working together instead of against each other. I found the character pretty relatable to, and all the other characters quirky and important to the theme of the book. It gives the reader a very hopeful feeling in the end, something which I thinks speaks well to all YA readers, compared to someone just giving up. A fantastic book, in my opinion.