Friday, April 29, 2011

When Dad Killed Mom -- a review by Sarah Gnefkow

When Dad Killed Mom

by: Julius Lester


**** Stars

Jeremy and Jenna are the members of what it seems to be a normal family. Jeremy a mommas boy and Jenna is such a daddys girl. There parents weren't on the best of terms and had been fighting a lot but they didn't exactly hate eachother either. One day the school pulls Jenna and Jeremy out of class to tell them the most shocking news they would ever hear in their lives, their dad had killed their mom. This news was shocking to everyone. Soon after this tradgedy they look differently at what had happened and more importantly why. By figuring out the answer to one question it just branches out into two or three new questions. So will they ever figure out why their dad had done such a horrible thing? Or will it remain a mystery forever...

I loved this book that's why I gave it four stars. Some of the parts of the book were completely pointless and made me feel a little uncomfortable but for the most part it was pretty good. It alternated paragraphs between Jenna and Jeremy and how they experienced everything throughtout the book. I did not put it down until I literally had to. So if you like shocking discoveries and trying to peice things together you would love this book!

11 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

I read this book years ago and really liked it -- was a great book club book! Glad you enjoyed it though the topic is a tough one.

Halea Coulter said...

I read this book a long time ago, it was pretty good. The narrator was funny at times, which lifted the mood some.

George Morejon said...

Self-detective kind of book? And will there be a "When mom killed dad"?

Ian Zig. said...

I repeat george's question of "When mom kiiled dad?" and this really doesn't sound capable of keeping my attention.

Amy Lyon said...

This doesn't sound very interesting.

Hope Austin said...

This doesn't sound like it would really capture my attentions.

Aspen Gates said...

I will think about reading this.

Anonymous said...

this looks interesting

bschmidt said...

I think I would like to read this book.

Anonymous said...

I read this book a couple years ago. The story definitely touching, and it addresses an issue that most young adult books don't cover.

Anonymous said...

It looks interesting, I would read it.
Ciara Bazemore