Tuesday, November 30, 2010

High Heat--A review by Bryce Foster

High Heat

By: Carl Deuker

**** stars

This is a book about a teenage baseball player named Shane hunter. He is the protagonist in this story. He has a mom, dad, and sister. They live in a very big house in a rich neighborhood. The dad in this story has a car dealership and is convicted of the crime money laundering. This leads up to him being arrested while at his son's game. He disappears in the story and Shane and other family members have to move to a different school, a different house, and a different lifestyle. He also has to switch the school he throws for. This leads to depression. His mother even has to work at a diner to afford the apartment they had to move into. I will leave you with what happened to his father.. I will also leave you with not knowing whether or not he overcomes this curve ball thrown in his life.

Personally, I enjoyed reading this book. I felt that the author, Carl Deuker wrote this novel with a lot of feeling. It's not only just another book about a sport. It deals with someone your own age, going through something very difficult. I rated it at 4 stars because I thought it was written for more than just baseball fans. I believe this fiction novel could be read by male or female, young adult and either one would be interested in it. This is the second book I've read from this author. The first book was a basketball book. It was called, "On the Devil's Court." I think this author is well known for writing sports book because there are many of them involving different sports. If you love baseball, this is a book for you. If you've had to change your lifestyle, this is also for you. If you had to adapt to a different school with new people, a new neighborhood this is for you.



5 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

Ah so this book was less about the sport and more about trials and tribulations in the life of a teenager, eh? I do want to know what happened to his dad!!!

Amy Lyon said...

Don't you always want to know what the reviewer doesn't tell you...? Sometimes it's hard being a reader, there's so much to read!

Aspen Gates said...

Although this book sounds interesting, I'm not sure I'll read it.

Hope Austin said...

I don't like books about sports, but since this seems to focusing on other things, I may check it out.

Anonymous said...

I dont really like baseball but it seems like this would be a book I would want to read in the future.