Thursday, November 4, 2010

If I Stay-- a review by Olivia Wright




If I Stay

By Gayle Forman

**** Stars

If I Stay is a heartfelt, teenage angst or drama. Mia, a young 17 year old with much aspiration to become a great musician, is faced with so many life changing choices. It was like she had everything. Mia had a loving punk-rock dad, laid back mom, a fun and quirky little brother named Teddy, a loving boyfriend named Adam, and a chance to pursue her future at Julliard as a classical playing cellist. Then all of this changed in a blink of an eye. It was a snow day for Mia and Teddy, so the family decided to take a road trip to their Gran’s house. A terrible tragedy occurred, something that left Mia with fewer choices in life. So many important questions came to mind for Mia. Do I stay? How critical are all these things in my life? Do I choose love over family and music? Do I Stay? Mia feels alone in her decision making. All the questions she asks herself are difficult to answer.

If I Stay is a cheerless narrative about a young adult who suffers great pain to make a decision. Forman does a wonderful job of showing the emotion that most of us go through. If I Stay is a gloomy story and could be considered a tear jerker. As a human being we all know what it is like to feel such tenderness in our hearts. Life is tough and the decision making process can be hard on anyone. Read If I Stay and find out what catastrophe it was that changed Mia’s life and what choices she confronts that stand in the way of her staying. I enjoyed this reading and would definitely suggest this to readers of all ages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This book sounds good and I've recently found out that this is going to be made into a movie. It will be interesting to see how it will be adapted.