Monday, November 29, 2010

Spanking Shakespeare -- A review by Hope Austin



Spanking Shakespeare
by Jake Wizner
***stars

Shakespeare Sharpio has what he believes is the most embarrassing first name ever (it's not just him; his brother's name is Gandhi). Not only that, he has the most embarrassing parents ever. His mother is extremely neurotic and his father is an alcoholic. While Shakespeare hangs out in the background with his friend Neil (who's obsessed with his bowel movements) and Katie (who loves to swear, but not as much as she loves getting drunk), his younger brother is living the life Shakespeare's always dreamed of. Gandhi is popular, has a girlfriend and does things with her that Shakespeare only fantasized about. Meanwhile, Shakespeare focuses on his Creative Writing class and dreaming of the girl he can't get. The reader follows Shakespeare through his senior year as he recounts his messed up childhood, gains a little perspective, and tries to lose his virginity.

I admit, when I picked this book up, I was a little iffy. The book sounded both promising and juvenile at the same time. I thought it was just going to be a series of quirks without the substance. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. There's way more going on with these characters than Shakespeare will ever let on. Other characters have to point it out to him. The story's humorous tone serves as a sort of defense mechanism; a darker tone could easily have put this book in the agnsty, dramatic genre. The book's message is loud and clear: no matter how bad you think your life is, it could always be worse.

Also, as of this writing, the book is not in the school library (I bought it at the book fair). If you want to read, go to your local library or bookstore. Better yet, persuade Mrs. Crawford to get O'hara a copy!

6 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

This title amuses me and I'm glad you liked this one. I had no idea what it would be about!

Bryce Foster said...

this book might be amusing. from how you tell it, sounds pretty funny to me. this could be a good book for not only a male or female to read.. it sounds like both genders could enjoy it.

Amy Lyon said...

This book does sound humorous, but I'm still a little iffy as to whether I'd pick it up or not.

Aspen Gates said...

If my mother ever named me something similar to Shakespear or Ghandi I would get emancipated. JK Jk, but I will definately consider reading this though.

Ian Zig. said...

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this story line... It kind of sounds interesting, but then again it doesn't... maybe I'll check it out..... That's great Aspen! I had a similar passing thought!

George Morejon said...

That sounds hilariously different than a lot of highschool books.