Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Going Bovine- Review written by Aspen Gates





Going Bovine

By Libba Bray

***** stars


Going Bovine is about a 16 year old boy named Cameron whose life pretty much can't get any worse. He's got bad grades, he's lazy, smokes weed, and to top it all off his twin sister is dating the most popular guy in school. Remember how I said Cameron's life couldn't get much worse? Well it does. After having a complete freak out over the toaster catching on fire, Cameron is sent to the doctor for tests and learns that he has Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease better known as mad cow disease, and to top it all off there is no cure. So while the disease is slowly taking over Cameron's body, destroying his lungs, and feeling pain all over, he meets Darcie. A beautiful angel who tells him that if he finds Dr. X he can be cured, but he only has a certain amount of time before he succumbs to the disease. So without delay Cameron sets off to find Dr. X, but also with the help of Gonzo, a roommate of his in the hospital, and Baldor a talking yard gnome. So, will Cameron succeed in his quest to find Dr. X and if he does will it be what he really expects it to be? Guess you will just have to read this gripping story to find out.

Going Bovine was without a doubt the most hilarious and extraordinary book I have ever read. Don't get me wrong there were some sad times in the book, but a majority of the book was just a big laugh. I gave this book five stars because it was different and it kept my attention the whole entire time Iwas reading it. Libba Bray has really outdone herself on this amazing story, and I advise you all to check it out in the O'Hara Library pronto.

7 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

This book was wild -- talk about a "trip" -- amazing hallucinations with his disease process, eh?
Can't wait to see what book club thinks of it! I'm sure you're ready for leading the discussion.

Hope Austin said...

There needs to more YA books like this one. The blend of humor and adventure mixed in with the very real threat of a fatal disease is very exquisite.

Bryce F said...

personally, i didnt like this book but i didnt finish the last few chapters so maybe i'll have to finish the end to convince me otherwise.

George Morejon said...

I really liked this book. It's probably one of the favourite books i've read for this class. The adventure and way he told the story was really appealling.

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine loved it, and suggested I read it, but I didn't see the appeal until now. My friend just said it was a good book and I should read it. He never said what it was about, which had me turn away. The summary was interesting and I might try to read it when I have time.

Anonymous said...

I loved this book! I thought it was very unique and I remember laughing out loud at some parts.

Anonymous said...

I remember reading this book for book club, freshman year if memory serves me correctly? I vaguely remember the storyline, and it was extremely unique. The impending disease and the humorous adventure were such contrasting themes, and the HUGE twist at the end left me surprised. It's such an individual book, I would recommend it to any avid readers, it's one I enjoyed immensely myself.