Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ever -- a review by Amy Lyon


Ever

By: Gail Carson Levine

* star

From the author of bizarre romances comes yet another. Ever is the story of the Akkan god of wind, Olus following his fascination with humans and interacting with a certain family, out of his territory. This family’s most important member, at least in Olus’s eyes, is Kezi, the daughter who weaves exceptionally. Unfortunately, her father makes a promise to their god that if his wife becomes well, he will sacrifice the first person to congratulate him on his wife’s returned health. Not being able to handle the possible death her aunt, Kezi congratulates her father before her aunt can, forfeiting her own life. Olus is disbelieving, but determined to change her supposed destiny. Thus ensues the frantic race against time to make her immortal before her mortal life ends.

While I enjoyed Levine’s Fairest, I didn’t think this confused jumble could be considered a novel. The summary grabbed me, but the story itself didn’t live up to it. Her idea had potential; it just was not executed well. There was a lot of rambling nonsense about destiny and love, not much substance to this story. This book was far too frou-frou for my tastes, even being a romance. I was disappointed and I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone over the age of ten.

Amy L.

4 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

Giving up on fairy tales?

Aspen Gates said...

Yeah I'm going to have to agree with you there Amy, this book sounds like something a 10 yr old would read.

Bryce Foster said...

i dont find this book interesting at all thanks for the insight. to much of a fairy tale.

Amy Lyon said...

I wouldn't say I've given...just maybe losing a little faith.