Friday, October 29, 2010

On the Devil's Court --- a review by Blake Hudon


On The Devil’s Court
by Carl Deuker


****

In a new town for his last year of high school, seventeen-year-old Joe Faust made a promise not to spend it as his anxious father would have him in a private school. Instead, he hopes to make this year his best on the basketball court, playing on the city's strongest public school team. But, as it happens, Joe's senior year turns out be entirely different from what he had expected. He attends a school he despises and watches his skill on the basketball court deteriorate until he can't even make a decent pass or easy lay-up. In desperation, he entangles himself in a situation so fantastic he can't tell if it's real or imagined a dilemma set in motion. After reading one of his father’s books, Doctor Faustus, Joe decides to make a deal with the devil to turn him into a superstar basketball player for his school. But in the end was it all worth it for him?

After reading On the Devil’s Court I was utterly amazed on how good this book was. The story was really good, and the characters seemed so real. This is one of those rare sports books that include a lot of sport action. I’m not really into books but this book really got me, I loved the story. It followed some of the everyday problems with teenagers like me that I could relate to that also helped me understand and follow the book better. Kept me on the edge and not for a second I got tired of it, if you need a new book to read in your life this is definitely a book you should pick up and read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this seems like an interesting book. i can relate with the character's desire to make the most of his sports seasons left.