Monday, October 25, 2010

Running for my Life -- a review by Jayla Smith


Running For My Life

By Ann Gonzalez

***** Stars

Running for my Life is the story told by a 14-year-old girl named Andrea McKane who struggles to cope with her mother’s schizophrenia. She has to recognize that her old mom that she uses to know and love may never ever come back. To help with McKane’s coping, her best friend, Margie, settles on joining the school track team. This also helps Margie to keep an eye on senior track stars Matthew and Sean for Andrea.

Andrea’s pass with her mother has a huge effect on her in the future to the point where she starts to have nightmares and mental breakdowns. With her family and friends, like Pedro, her stuff animal, Andrea will try to not live in the pass and with the fear of her mother’s illness. What has her mother done to her that is so dreadful and ghastly? Will her breakthrough this nightmare and overcome the impossible?

I think that Running for my Life shows one of the numerous challenges that most teens have to face today in this society. This book shows the backbreaking experiences that Andrea faces that most teens may face when they are in similar situations. At same time, she has to get through high school which may not be too easy for most people. I personally haven’t been through her situation but I can relate it to when one of my family members became sick as well. If you are interested with the effects of illness, this book is good for you to read. With this is book you look at what illness does to those who were affected by it. Running for my Life is an interesting book and it enjoyed it and I think you will too!

No comments: