Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bright Young Things - a review by George Morejon



Bright Young Things

by Anna Godbersen

**** stars

Bright Young Things takes place during the 'roaring 20's', following the story of three girls. The first character is Cordelia. The book starts just an hour before her wedding to a boy she met and fell for the earlier summer. But it's not all it seems, as it's a forced marriage her aunt arranged. She needs someone to help her. The second girl, Letty, is just the person to do that. Letty's a petite girl who's been Cordelia's best friend since they were both little. They decide that day to finally run away from their podunk Ohio town to the city of dreams, New York City. Almost missing the 6;52 train, they make it and find a women's tenant house to stay at. But the first night, they get drunk at an easyspeak and evicted when they get back home. With Letty's dream of becoming a star seemingly crushed, this causes a fallout between Letty and Cordelia, who go their separate ways.


Cordelia goes on to look for her father (the real reason she came to New York) by crashing a party at the house of Darius Grey, who has the same last name as her. She's called out by someone for party crashing, but the third girl, Astrid, takes Cordelia under her wing and protects her. When Cordelia is able to have the chance, she tells Darius she's his daughter. The party fall's silent, and finally he says how glad he is to see her, to her relief. Astrid and Cordelia become best friends, and share more than secrets and romances. All the while while Letty is learning the hard way that breaks don't come easy in New York, and it isn't easy becoming a star.


I thought this was an okay book. The 20's were something I had just learned about in history class, so that's why I picked it. I thought the characters were interesting, and the way it switched perspectives in between chapter was really smooth. Letty's story seemed the most interesting. She had the hardest time and wasn't always out at rich people parties. I think her story showed what it was really like trying to move to New York. (I don't remember how long it took me to read the book. Oops)

7 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

As always, I like hearing how long it took you to read the book. I guess I will buy Vixen for you too so that you can continue to explore the Roaring 20s! Good review.

Aspen Gates said...

Not sure if I really want to read this series. We shall have to see.

Sarah Gnefkow said...

I might be checking out this series soon!

Ian Zig. said...

I wrote a paper about the 20's, so this kinda gets my attention.. I might read it someday

Hope Austin said...

I liked this one too, but I'm sure if I want to read the rest of the series.

Amy Lyon said...

I tried to read this book, but just couldn't get through it.

Halea Coulter said...

This doesn't grab my attention much.