Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Hex Hall --- a review by Amy Lyon

Hex Hall
by Rachel Hawkins
****


Sophie Mercer has moved eighteen times in sixteen years. Sophie has always had a problem fitting in, and not just because she's always the new girl, but because she's a witch. And with a love spell gone horribly wrong, Sophie ends up at Hecate Hall (aka Hex Hall) rooming with a vampire. Yikes! But wait, their room is covered in...pink? And Hex's resident bad boy, Archer Cross, is tall, dark, and gorgous and he just saved her life.

The first day is full of....interesting experiences: first, the three most popular girls knock on the door in the middle of the night, asking her to join their coven, but these girls seem a little too evil and they don't take Sophie's refusal easily...next, Sophie watches two fae get in a fight with a shapeshifter, then she gets slobbered on by a werewolf, only to get back to her room in time to see her roommate having a midnight snack...

The first day of classes is just as promising, resulting in cellar duty for a semester, on the bright side, it will be with Archer. On the other hand, maybe that's not so great...

While part of the book is a cliche, it doesn't detract from the rest of the novel. There are some interesting twists that make me want to read the next book and the characters aren't as cliched as the overall situation. Anyone who likes paranormal should definitely read this.

9 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

OK Amy, I ordered the sequel for you! Sounds like a different twist on the paranormal -- and that genre is so popular now! Good review.

George Morejon said...

Sounds like a unique idea. I noticed the front looked really interesting when i was covering it.

Aspen Gates said...

You know Amy I really wasn't planning on reading this series, but somehow you got me hooked on it.

Sarah Gnefkow said...

I want to read this book!

Ian Zig. said...

although the supernatural is my type, this sounds way too estrogen packed for me..

George Morejon said...

I covered that book! Glad you like it

Halea Coulter said...

Ick! No paranormal!

Hope Austin said...

I'm gonna have to skip this one. I really dislike cliches, especially paranormal ones.

Anonymous said...

I didn't find anything original about this book at all. I really only finished reading it because I had started it and had nothing else to do. I didn't love any of the characters, the plot seemed sort of boring at times, and overall this was nothing new or groundbreaking for me.