Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Nightshade- Review by Aspen Gates


Nightshade



By Andrea Cremer



***stars



Seventeen year old Calla Tor is not only a werewolf, or according to her a guardian, but she is an alpha female of the Nighshade pack that is promised to be married to Ren Laroche, alpha male of the Bane's pack. Together they will be the new pack leaders and protectors of the Keepers who they serve, and in return the guardians are provide with homes, food, education, and safety. Calla and Ren are pretty much set on there future until Calla breaks the rules of the Keeper's and saves a human named Shay from being mauled by a bear. Calla believes everything will go back to normal after she knocks him out, but things seem to get worse when Shay is now the new student at her school. She tries to ignore him, but can't help to be curious about him at the same time since most humans fear the guardians, but Shay doesn't and it starts to cause a problem with Ren who is wanting to teach Shay a lesson about messing with his territory. Yet, things keep getting more and more uncomfortable between the three when Calla is asked to protect Shay from their enemies the Searcher's who want Shay badly. At first Calla is very outraged at this idea including Ren, but quickly turns to liking Shay when he convinces her to start reading forbidden books about her people's history. It's these books that will change Calla's life forever and now she must decide on whether or not she should follow her heart and runaway with the love her life Shay, or stay and be married to Ren who also loves her and to serve the guardians.

Nightshade was a very different different kind of werewolf story and thats what made me really connect and like this book. I gave this book four stars because the ending could have had a better cliff hanger but all in all it was a wonderful book and I can't wait to read Wolfsbane which is the second of this series. I would definitely recommend this book to all who are tired of the traditional werewolves, vampire stories because this is something completely different than any I have ever read. So check Nightshade out in the O'Hara Library because if you like supernatural creature stories like me, you will love this series.

7 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

I don't know, Aspen, it still sounds like the classic "love triangle" book despite the fact that these are werewolves! I will probably order the sequel and hope you do get a chance to read it. Thanks for the review!

Hope Austin said...

I'm not much of a paranormal romance person, so I'll be skipping this one.

Amy Lyon said...

Read it. It's actually not bad, for a paranormal love triangle.

Halea Coulter said...

I'm so far over paranormal....especially werewolves, Shiver and Linger killed it for me.

Ian Zig. said...

that sounds like my genre, maybe I'll check it out

Sarah Gnefkow said...

I think I will probably end up really like this..

Nya everette said...

I read it and I liked it. I kinda relate it to twilight because of the love triangle.