Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Peak - Review by Halea Coulter


Peak
by Roland Smith

* * * and 1/2 Stars


Peak Macello's face is stuck to a building. And he is about to be arrested. Why? Because he just scaled a New York skyscraper, the top of which his face is currently stuck to.

Peak follows the story of a boy named Peak who gets in a bit of trouble for scaling New York skyscrapers and painting blue mountains at the top. He is sent to juvie and is gonna be in jail for awhile, especially since a kid tried to copy him, and died. He was going to be sentenced to a few years in jail, but then, his father, who isn't much of a father, saves the day . . . by taking him to Nepal. Peak hasn't seen his father, Josh, in seven years, which is a good amount of time considering Peak is only fifteen. But why would Josh take Peak to Nepal? The climb Everest. Josh owns a company that takes people up Everest, and now, he is determined to make Peak the youngest person to ever climb the mighty mountain. The book follows Peak as he struggles up the mountain and struggles with a bit of competition and a mysterious old monk.

I thought the book was pretty good; a nice, quick, easy read. It was interesting to see how climbing Everest affects the body. I feel like the author did a lot of research for this book to come together, especially with the affect of lack of oxygen on the body. This book was refreshing because the mother was actually a really nice person and the father was the one that was really an antagonistic character. I really liked the book, it was very different from what I normally read, so I enjoyed it quite a bit, if your looking just for something easy and interesting, go for Peak.

8 comments:

Aspen Gates said...

I don't know what to think of this book because it sounds good in the beginning, but the rest just seems boring. We shall see.

TheBookNurse said...

I found it quite interesting that you picked this book to read and review as it seems more of a "boy" book, but I'm glad you did and this does sound good!

Amy Lyon said...

I agree, this does seem like a boy book. I think I'll pass.

Halea Coulter said...

Ok, ok, it was a "boy book" but seriously, what was interesting was seeing him go through the psychological and physical stresors of climbing the largest mountain in the world.

Hope Austin said...

Seems like an interesting story, regardless of its intended audience.

Ian Zig. said...

... That just caught my attention... He would scale skyscrapers?! that's awesome! I wanna check this out!

Sarah Gnefkow said...

I might just have to skip this one doesn't seem like I would enjoy it.

zach hampton said...

i thought this was a good book and might even read it again.